Tuesday, May 30, 2006

12,000 Feet Above Sea Level



This past week I was in paradise...vacationing in Estes Park, Colorado, and Rocky Mountain National Park. For me, there is no place on this earth I would rather be than in the mountains (any mountains).

So there we are, 12,000 feet above sea level, surrounded by absolutely breathtaking views, pristine clear (albeit thin) mountain air, blue skies and fluffy clouds that stretched forever... and cigarette smoke. Yep, standing in the parking lot at the Alpine Visitors Center at the top of Trial Ridge Road (the highest paved highway in the continental U.S.) were all sorts of idiots getting out of and into their automobiles smoking cigarettes. Being the subtle, kind, thoughtful person I am, I of course had to comment on their questionable choices. "Here you are, in the purest air you will likely EVER experience, and you have the audacity to pollute it - not to mention your lungs - with your bloody cigarettes?!?!" All it got me was some questioning looks, a couple of nasty stares, and one "I can smoke if I want to!" To which I sweetly replied, "Of course you can, and you can also suffer the effects of your choice one day...slowly and painfully, perhaps."

I simply cannot begin to understand why you would "have" to light up a cigarette in such a majestic natural cathedral. Smoke in your car (but never if you have passengers, especially children, with you), smoke in your home, your office, but do NOT smoke outside and pollute my air! ...idiots....

And don't even get me started on smokers' habits of treating the world as their ashtrays, tossing out cigarette butts willy nilly ...especially here in the drought-stricken western U.S. ....idiots, indeed!
OK, I'll get off my soapbox (for a while). We now return you to your regular programming....

4 comments:

miffed67 said...

Oooh, you went to Colorado!? It's beautiful there, LOVE the pic!

britpopbaby said...

Aaaah! I hate smokers! I think if you as vemently against it you get so sensitive to it - I can smell smoke a mile away and it drives me crazy!

On your mountain note - I'm the complete opposite. I much prefer open plains. I've spent three years surrounded by mountains in Wales and at first I was like this is so cool, it looks exactly like Lord of the Rings but after a while I felt trapped and couldn't wait to get back to the gentle rolling countryside of North West England.

Prophecy Girl said...

I was in Estes Park once and found it to be BEAUTIFUL! There weren't any smokers that I recall, but I would have been disgusted if there had been. I probably wouldn't have been brave enough to say anything, but seriously. Why ruin a pure experience with something as stupid as cigarette smoke? Not to mention you ruin others' experiences as well. On an unrelated note, I am loving this blog! It's really beautiful. High marks in all categories. :)

Nothing Really Matters said...

Its funny how smoke always finds the non-smoker!