Monday, May 08, 2006

I'm Working, Dammit!


I have been working from home for several years now, and while overall the experience is wonderful (how great is it to walk downstairs in your jammies and go to work, if you're so inclined?!), there are a few drawbacks. Sometimes it's too easy to get sidetracked - "I'll just toss in a load of laundry, get something out of the freezer to thaw for dinner, maybe go fill the birdfeeders...then I'll work." Sometimes it's too easy to procrastinate - "I'll just finish reading the paper, then I'll get to work" - and wind up working at midnight to meet the necessary deadline. But the worst thing about it, without a doubt, is constant interruptions from family members.

During the school year both my son and my husband are busy at school all day, but come summer time they are home and often under foot. There seems to be some invisible sign over the door to my basement office that must say "Come on in! Bother the h*ll outa me - I'm not busy!" I'll be working diligently, trying to get that deadline-driven job done so I don't have to be up working at midnight, and someone (usually my son) will burst into my office with important news like, the cat just threw up again, or the mail's here... or some life-altering pronouncement like "I'm hungry, when's lunch?" - which I know all those in my household are capable of fixing themselves - or "Did I just hear the phone? Who was it?" - well, had it been for you, I would have told you...duh. My usual response is "I'm working, dammit!" Those folks in the corporate world do not have to put up with such nonsense... but then, they can't go to work in their jammies, can they?! ;)

2 comments:

KentuckyCritter said...

Nice blog! Just stumbled through and liked what you're doing!

Jillian said...

I so feel your pain.
Don't forget that you are self employed so you can "do whatever you want when you want" because you are your own boss.
That's my favorite.

Miss a nephew's baseball game because you work a 'real' job? No one has a problem with it.

Miss a nephew's baseball game (or anything else) because you have a deadline and you just "don't care".

Ahhhhhhhh self employment.
Jillian
from Belli Abiti