Monday, November 20, 2006

Little Gifts....


I spent almost all day Saturday dragging the holiday decorations out of storage (we keep 'em under the stairs, clear in the back so we have to unload the entire closet to get to 'em...yea, that makes sense...), and decorating the family room in the basement (yep, just the family room...the rest of the house will get it starting Wednesday). The entire time, my son would wander through saying "oh for heaven's sake..." or "...isn't it a bit early for this nonsense?" I would smile and say, "it's never too early!" and "you know you love it." Sure enough, when I got all done, turned off the overhead light and turned on the tree, he said, "looks really nice, Mom." Gotta love those little gifts....

Saturday night I drove out the the local WalMart to get a new tree skirt for the tree in the family room, and at the end of the street near the high school, I was greeted by the heartwarming site of holiday decorations lighting up the night in a townhome's yard....beautiful white and red decorations, brilliantly lit...it made me smile clear down to my toes. What a wonderful, wonderful gift....

I told my husband last night, "you know, the holiday decorating I do throughout the house is my gift to you, our son, and to myself; but the decorations we put outside in the yard and on the house are our gift to the community...our small way of sharing the joyous holiday spirit with everyone around us." He looked at me like I was a bit nuts (nothing unusual there), but he understood what I meant.

Little gifts abound....share them, little ones, share them....

No comments: