Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Proofread and spell check, would you please?!

This past week saw a great deal of controversy in my little town concerning several different law-related issues, and lots and lots of folks posted their thoughts about things on the local radio station's guestbook.

It's wonderful that we have the Internet to engage in dialogue on any number of issues. And it's also wonderful that so very many of us feel compelled to do just that - join the dialogue. However, is it too much to ask to have the authors of Internet postings proofread and spell check before they hit "submit"?

I know I'm a picky beast, but reading through multiple postings that are rife with misspellings, misuse of words, and/or poor grammar, always makes me take the authors much less seriously, and usually miffs me off a bit. We are, by and large, an educated society. I would venture a guess that the majority of us have actually even graduated from some level of formal education. So how about we put that education to use when we begin or join in a written dialogue?

I was reading the guestbook of my hometown's local newspaper today, and some poster kept going on and on about how the "government must have something to hid from us." The poster repeated that statement multiple times. I'm sorry, but if you can't even use correct wording, I'm just not going to take you seriously.

Things like "y'all" and "gonna" - slang, if you will - are fine. But when it comes to correct word usage, overall spelling, and grammar, well, I'm going to expect you to be on top of it all if you want me to read your online posting and take anything you write seriously. Or else I might think you are trying to "hid" something from me.

Now, little ones, get out there and join in the dialogue...but proofread and spell check before you click "submit" please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! Spellcheck isn't 100% accurate but it's better than nothing. "Asprin" is not a sign I want to see hanging over an aisle in my supermarket and I don't care to frequent a fabric store that sells "scissers." How can I trust an entity that can't spell what they sell? If I receive a resume from a job applicant that states they're an expert user of MS Word, there ought not be grammatical and/or punctuation errors in the first line of the document. Other peeves of mine are the spellings/usage of "your" and "you're"; "their," "there" and "they're"; "were" and "where"; "to", "too" and "two," etc. Reading a letter that begins "I am writing this because...." makes me cringe. I have a colleague that ends e-mails with "Please revert with [an answer]." I have yet to find any reliable/respectable source that can explain how to revert *with* something, only how to revert *to* something. As the comedian George Carlin says, "The quality of our thoughts and ideas is only as good as the quality of our language."