Friday, April 27, 2007

Knock, knock! Who's there?

I hate door-to-door solicitation. Don't get me wrong, I love to buy the magazines, candy bars, and cookies from the kids that are raising money for whatever purpose for school/sports/clubs. But I quite dislike adults that go door-to-door to (1) tell me all about their religious beliefs or (2) offer to provide me a "free" service of some sort so they can demonstrate the wonderful product they are selling.

I really don't understand why someone would feel compelled to go door-to-door to tell others about their personal religious beliefs. It just seems wrong, and rather invasive, to me. You have every right, of course, to believe what you want. But what in the world gives you the right to come uninvited to my home and share your personal beliefs with me?! I must have missed the memo that gave blanket permission for that....

And if you come to my door trying to offer me a "free" service - such as vacuuming or shampooing my carpet - don't be the least bit surprised if I say "No thank you." And don't have the audacity to tell me I'm being rude to you. You're the one that came, uninvited, to my front door and tried to come into my home for your own financial benefit. I didn't ask you to come to my door, and I sure as heck didn't ask you into my home. We do have "green river" ordinances in my small town - if you want to sell something door-to-door (even if it's a "free" service), you must be bonded and have a license to do so. And even if you are bonded and do have a license, I still have the right to say "No thank you." And I also have the right to expect you to leave my doorstep at that point and not argue with me or try to guilt me in to letting you - a complete and total stranger - into my home.

During political season, candidates and their supporters are wont to wander about from house to house selling, well, themselves or the candidate they support. Again, I don't greatly appreciate the uninvited visit, but I will take any literature you have to share, and if I have questions for/about the candidate, I will happily engage in a conversation with you on the doorstep. But I most likely won't ask you into my home, unless I know you well and want to pursue an extended conversation about the candidate.

So, little ones, it's best that you not come knocking at my door uninvited unless you are under the age of 18 and are working to raise money for your sports team/club/school. If you're an adult looking to sell me your religion or "free" services, I'm just not interested...I don't want you in my home...and I don't really care if you think that's rude.

No comments: