Monday, September 03, 2007

Painting Bliss...


It should come as no surprise to any regular visitor here that I love nature, especially the mountains. I also love taking pictures, especially landscapes and flowers, and I dearly love paintings of landscapes and flowers. While I am a quasi-decent amateur photographer, I am not in any way, shape, or form a painter. But I am a collector....

I own a lot of various and sundry prints of landscape and wildlife scenes, most by what could be termed "western artists" - Frank McCarthy, Reid Christie, Mary Hunt, and many others. But I only own originals by a few artists...Mary Hunt, whose detail painting beading and birds is amazing; Julie Orient, who paints the some of the most gorgeous watercolor skies and landscapes I've ever seen; and - my favorite by far - the incomparable Ty Barhaug, who paints breathtaking, awe-inspiring landscapes in oils. I grew up best buds with Ty's big sister and have known Ty for what seems like forever; he was a heck of an artist when he was a kid, and now he's amazing. He comes from deeply artistic stock; both his mother and father are accomplished artists, and his siblings all have artistic talents. His father is one of the best portraiture artists I have ever encountered.

I started my collection by commissioning a piece from Ty...I asked him to paint something from the Sunlight Basin area north of Cody, Wyoming. It was always one of my favorite places to "be" when I was growing up in Cody, and it holds many, many happy memories. I gave Ty carte blanche to paint whatever inspired him in Sunlight, and he blessed me with the most gorgeous painting. It is the centerpiece of the many paintings and prints covering the walls of my home.

I honestly don't know what Ty calls this piece, but to me it is "Sunlight Bliss" and every time I look at it, I'm transported to a place and a state of mind that are unequaled.


We all need such beauty in our lives, little ones, be it in paintings, photographs, books, video images, or best of all memories. Take the time to create such picturesque memories, little ones, and you will never be far from a moment of pure bliss....

If you would like to learn more about Ty's work, please visit his web site.

No comments: