Sunday, June 28, 2009

Going home.....

Later this week AA&T will come back, spend a day, then we will all head to Cody to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. My niece from South Carolina is flying to Cody on the 1st. This will be the first time ever that all of us have been in Cody at the same time. In fact, it will be the first time my niece has met Allison and Torsten. I have no doubt this will be one hella memorable birthday for my mother, and for the rest of us.

AA&T coming here is "going home" for them, but for me, going to Cody is truly "going home." The town has changed and grown in the decades since I graduated from high school and left, but the sense of "home" has not. As soon as I see the mountains of "home" my heart sighs a contented sigh and sings just a little.

I have always equated mountains with "home"...any part of the Rocky Mountains will do. But the mountains around Cody are my favorite...probably because they were a constant in my growing-up years. Once I had my driver's license, driving up South Fork or North Fork just to "be" in the mountains was my favorite thing to do. Oh, the gas that was wasted on such drives.....

Here's to "home," little ones; wherever and whatever it may be for you...don't ever lose your sense of "home."

No comments: