Saturday, February 04, 2012

Soundtracks

I spent this afternoon at a wonderful journaling class at my local library. We got our creative groove on and decorated journals in which we can record whateverthehell we want. It was fun to play and decorate our journals. As I let loose with a little creative flair, I thought about what words I might write in my journal....stream of consciousness? life story? deep, dark secrets? observations of nature? of the human condition? angry tirades? political leanings? Could be any, or all, or none of these....and that's the beauty of journaling.

Then this evening, as I was working on an entry in my Baking in the Backwoods blog, I found myself listening to the 70's Music Choice channel....all of a sudden I was 16 again. And I realized that regardless of the story I tell in that - or any - journal, it will have a soundtrack....for there is not a single time in my life that there has not been a soundtrack to my life...the soundtrack has changed, evolved, grown, circled back, moved into realms that surprise even me, but it's always been there, and it always will be.

I figure that alone works as the best writer's block cure, when writer's block hits...just tap into your life's soundtrack, little ones, and let the journey take you back, take you forward, just let it take you. And, to paraphrase Carly Simon, let the words flow......

No comments: