Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Respecting Beliefs

I live four miles south of the nearest town, up a steep hill, in a small subdivision. We are rather off the beaten path, and door-to-door folks don't usually mess with us up here. Today there was a knock on my door, and when I opened the door a nicely dressed gentleman started right in with his religious-based spiel...no Hello, no How are you, just right in to his spiel. I told him I was not interested, but he didn't stop talking, so I closed the door on him.

I believe in freedom of religion - it is one of the most important tenets this country was founded on. But freedom of religion, to me, means that you are free to believe and practice your chosen religion, and I am free to believe and practice mine. It does not mean you are free to come to my home uninvited and try to "sell" me your personal religious beliefs. I feel my religious beliefs are extremely personal...they are mine and mine alone; I do not share them with others, especially if such sharing is uninvited.

I respect your right to believe what you want, and I expect you to respect mine. I will not ever try to "sell" you my beliefs, and you'd dang well better not try to "sell" me yours.

Respect...it's a two-way street, little ones.....

No comments: